Contents Insurance From Macbeths Insurance Brokers - Insure Your Wine

Protecting Your Wine Collection

Over the past 10 years, more and more people are investing in wine. Many are using the latest technology, such as custom-built cellars and temperature controlled storage units, the use of which has increased significantly. As a result, domestic collections are growing in both size and value.

With this trend comes the problem of protecting your investment. You may think that wine would be covered under a standard home contents insurance policy, but this is not always the case. In fact, the larger and more valuable your collection becomes, the more important it is to speak to a specialist broker who understands the nature of the product and the risks involved to ensure you are adequately covered.

If you own a valuable wine collection you will almost certainly need ‘high value’ contents insurance, also known as ‘high net worth’ insurance, which is tailored to suit those with a higher than average value of contents to insure.


Common threats to your wine collection can include:

  • Theft
  • Accidental breakage
  • Loss of labels in a cellar flood
  • Extreme temperature changes following a fire
  • Underinsurance – be aware of the current value of your collection


Once you have a wine collection policy in place, to make sure you stay adequately covered, it’s wise to regularly update your insurer on your purchases – as well, of course, as those you have consumed. After all, that’s one of the real perks of a great wine collection.

Author: admin | January 6th, 2015

Contact the author

Get in touch:   Reading: 0118 916 5480   London: 020 7036 8767