Contract Works Insurance From Macbeths Insurance Brokers

Permitted Development – What Can You Do?

With house prices continuing to rise steadily, and the general cost of moving doing like wise, it’s no wonder more and more of us are tending to stay put, electing to renovate and extend instead of moving. Now, you don’t have free rein to build what you like! But you can perform certain types of work without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called “permitted development rights”.

It should be noted that the permitted development rights, which apply to many common projects for houses, do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Commercial properties also have different permitted development rights to regular dwellings. Also, your location may also dictate additional restrictions on your permitted development rights. So if your dwelling resides within a national park, conservation area or the Norfolk broads, it is more than likely you will have more restrictions applied to your permitted rights.

If in doubt as to whether your planned work counts as Permitted Development, always check with your local authority.

Dreams, not Nightmares.

When undertaking work on your house in a bid to make it your dream home, you may benefit from Contract Works Insurance. As with most insurance, you don’t need it until you need it and when your family home is at stake, having the right insurance cover in place could save the day.

There are three main risks when arranging insurance; cover for the existing structure, cover for the ongoing Contract Works and cover for your liabilities as the land owner. In addition to this, you may also need to insure hired in plant, tools/equipment as well as employers’ liability.

These may not be things to consider on smaller projects, but for larger projects, where the risk is higher, it could make all the difference should things go wrong.

For more info on 20 things you can do without planning permission, take a look at this article published on Its quite surprising what you don’t need planning for!

For more information on Contract Works Insurance, you can contact Carl Sharp, based in our Reading office, on 0118 9165487 or drop him an email.

Author: Carl Sharp | May 9th, 2018

Contact the author

Carl Sharp
Get in touch:   Reading: 0118 916 5480   London: 020 7036 8767