Finally your holiday is here! But before heading off, make sure your home is not a target for opportunistic burglars. Below are some simple steps that may be worth considering;
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked with keys removed and left out of sight
- Ensure that all key-holders to your alarm system are aware of your holiday plans
- Use automatic timer-switches to turn your lights and radios on when it goes dark
- Unplug all electrical devices and consider turning off the water
- Secure all valuables such as car keys, jewellery & electronics in a safe or hidden location
- Don’t advertise your departure on public social networking sites – burglars can use any information you post on there to their advantage but do tell your neighbours so they can keep a close eye out for any activity
- Keep the blinds and curtains open as usual
- Cancel any newspaper or milk deliveries
- Make sure your lawn has been freshly trimmed again to make the property look lived in
- Remember to advise your insurance broker if your property is likely to be unoccupied for more than 30 days
- For extended holidays, or longer periods of un-occupancy, consider a housesitting service
Now relax and enjoy your holiday!
Macbeth specialise in arranging home insurance policies for individuals with higher value homes and cars and also insurance for fine art and valuables.
For further information please contact Carl Sharp on 0118 916 5487 or complete one of our enquiry forms.
If you’ve found this article of interest please share it with your friends by using the social media share buttons below.