Insurance for Oast Houses

An Oast house, or Hop Kiln house are beautiful buildings, it is understandable why many have been converted into homes. However, insuring them is not straight forward so it is imperative that owners obtain an insurance product to adhere to these requirements.

In my experience of insuring Oast houses, the main difficulty is indemnifying the client in the case of a total loss, such as a fire. With most buildings being listed or of a non-standard construction, establishing the rebuilding value can be difficult and hidden costs, sourcing building materials or red tape around planning can cause long delays. Therefore it is extremely important to have:

  • Alternative accommodation for at least 3 years
  • extended replacement cost for the rebuilding
  • Loss assessors’ fees insurance

Oast Houses should not be insured under a standard home insurance product and instead require a more in depth policy provided by the high value home insurance providers where the attitude to settling claims is first class.

If you own a converted Oast house, please contact Carl Sharp on 0118 9165 487 for a conversation regarding your insurance requirements and exposures.

*Information correct as of 1st May 2016

Author: Carl Sharp | November 13, 2013

Contact the author

Related Articles

Talk to us today: Reading: 0118 916 5480 London: 020 7036 8767