Left with no income, how long would your savings last?
As household finances are stretched by high living costs, saving for a rainy day isn’t an option for everyone. Without a contingency fund, you can worry there’s nothing to fall back on if an accident or illness prevents you from working. Or you can take out Income Protection Insurance – the ideal antidote to those sleepless nights.
What is Income Protection Insurance?
Designed to minimise the impact that an injury or ill health has on a family, Income Protection Insurance ensures that you’ll continue to receive a regular income while you’re unable to work.
Anyone can have this type of policy as a backup – and it’s particularly useful if you’re self-employed and don’t receive statutory sick pay.
How Income Protection Insurance works
When you take out Income Protection Insurance, you pay a monthly or annual premium in return for regular payments to replace a proportion of your taxable income (including salary or dividends) if you’re forced to take time off work after an accident or to recover from a serious illness.
- Long-term cover – your policy can be set up to provide an income until you’re able to return to work or you reach retirement
- Affordable premiums – you can keep costs down by increasing the length of time before your policy payments start or by limiting the payment period to a fixed number of years
- Extra support – your cover can include rehabilitation services such as physiotherapy and psychological support
The average UK employee only has enough savings to last them 32 days on their current lifestyle.
Why you should consider Income Protection Insurance
- No one can predict what’s around the corner. With Income Protection Insurance you don’t have to worry how your mortgage and other household bills will be paid if you’re unable to work because you’re ill or injured
- Legal & General’s latest Deadline to Breadline research revealed that the average UK employee only has enough savings to last them 32 days on their current lifestyle if their income stopped, highlighting the importance of Income Protection Insurance for many households
- For professionals such as doctors and surgeons working at least 32 hours a week, insurers will guarantee to pay a minimum monthly income, no matter how much the policyholder’s income has dropped or when they make a claim
- We can also set up Income Protection Insurance for homemakers – so families can afford to pay for help with tasks such as childcare, cooking and cleaning
Boom in Inheritance Tax ReceiptsRead more
Simplifying a Help to Buy RemortgageRead more
Joint Borrower Sole Proprietor Mortgage (JBSP) – Lending a Helping HandRead more
Your Mortgage – Don’t be PrisonerRead more
Equity Release – Things to look our forRead more
A Brief Guide to Buying, Remortaging and Protecting your HomeRead more
Re-Mortgaging – Don’t Assume You’re Getting the Best DealRead more
New EPC Regulations Are No April Fools!Read more
Pensions In A BasketRead more
The Value Of A Mortgage BrokerRead more
"In a world of ‘like me’ products and services, it is so refreshing to find a company that is genuinely passionate about its customers – something which I think is very important, but too often not the case, these days. I would therefore like to thank Macbeth for offering (and more importantly) delivering so well on its promise. I am pleased I chose to insure through Macbeth, and pleased that Carl Sharp delivered the Macbeth promise so well."